The backbone of any laundry business is their fleet of washing machines.
Without the right washing machines, you’ll quickly find that your laundry business isn’t much of a business at all. As lucrative as a well run laundromat can be, if you’re equipped with suboptimal washing machines your entire laundry business can turn into a money sink.
Unreliable washers mean lots of downtime and maintenance expenses. Ineffective washing machines leave customers unhappy with the state of their clothes. Inefficient washing machines waste time and money, running up your overhead expenses for water and electricity.
These are just a few of the veritable laundry list of things to consider when picking out the best washing machines for your laundry business.
Don’t just think of them as plain old washing machines. Think of them as the star of the show.
What Are Some Top Rated Washing Machine Brands?
In your quest for the best washing machines for your laundry business, you’re likely to come across a few brands which just keep popping up in your research.
The top brands have a substantial presence in the laundry industry and can be found in laundry businesses across the globe.
These brands have been battle tested by laundry businesses far and wide. They are popular for a good reason and worth looking at for anyone shopping for commercial washing machines.
Here are some of the top commercial washing machine brands you should research for your laundry business:
- Speed Queen
Different Types Of Commercial Washing Machines To Consider
A huge part of the success of your laundry business is picking out the right washing machines. Not only are they the workhorse behind your business, they will also determine the physical layout and flow of your business.
Optimizing the number and positioning of machines in your laundromat is key to maximizing your income potential.
Take some time to carefully picture your space and consider the following questions:
- Top Loading or Horizontal Loading: The orientation of the mouth of the washing machine’s drum will determine how people use your laundromat and how much space is available. Typically, configurations with horizontal loaders make the best use of space for businesses with a high volume of washers -- however, horizontal loaders are significantly more expensive than top loaders. But if space is not a concern, top loaders can do just fine.
- Drum Size: The drum size determines how large of a load the washing machine can handle. Consider your clientele. If your laundromat attracts a lot of people with huge loads of laundry, it may be more efficient to invest in larger washers. If you primarily cater to people like travelers or students with few clothes, it is likely best to stick with many small washers.
- Washing Machine Settings: Many commercial washing machines limit the options available to the user when it comes to setting cycle type, temperature, or other settings. Consider what controls are available to your customers so they can treat their clothes right.
Cost Of Different Washing Machines
The cost of a commercial washing machine can vary widely based on the size, brand, and model.
On average, the cost of a commercial top loading washer is around $500 - $1,000.
Horizontal loaders can be much more pricier, ranging anywhere from $1,000 as high as $20,000.
It’s never been easier to pay for your laundry. Want to dramatically simplify laundry day? Step into the future with mobile payments.
Coin Operated Versus Cards Or Mobile Apps For Your Laundry Business
Coin operated laundry is the classic approach for laundromats. While it certainly works, we’re not too far from a future where old coin op machines are little more than antiquities.
As fewer and fewer people carry cash, getting change isn’t as easy as it used to be. These days our wallets and purses are increasingly free of bills and change, and there is less and less need for businesses to set up all of the infrastructure necessary to make change.
Instead, we can skip this old archaic process entirely.
Modern laundromats are rapidly adopting innovative payments systems like laundry pay apps which allow customers to pay using their credit or debit card directly from an app on their phone.
No need to fuss with change ever again!
Best Laundry Business Commercial Washing Machines FAQs
1. What other equipment might I need for my laundry business?
Other equipment which can be useful to have includes vending machines to sell detergent and fabric softener. If you have a coin operated laundry, it’s a good idea to consider getting an ATM and a change machine.
2. How do you use a commercial washing machine?
You can wash your clothes in a commercial washer just like you would with any other washing machine. The only difference is usually a payment step required before the cycle starts.
3. How long does a commercial laundry machine take?
Wash times will vary between different commercial washing machines. Most washing machines take somewhere between 30 and 40 minutes to complete a load.